Thursday, April 29, 2010

Question Thursday: Which book do you wish had a sequel?

I love immersing myself in an great series of books.  Sometimes it is hard to settle for a stand-alone novel when you want to devour an absorbing series of three or thirteen.  Obviously, there are lots of awesome stand-alone novels that are perfect exactly as they are, and not every book series is made of excellence from start to finish.  But I love the torturous suspense of awaiting a sequel, and I love reading more about characters that I adore.  :)


Are there any books you wish had been the first in a series rather than stand-alone novels?  One book that immediately comes to mind for me is Robin McKinley's Sunshine.  Rae and Constantine's world seemed richly prepared for continuing adventures, and I wasn't completely ready to close the book on their story as I turned the final pages of that novel.  So I was disappointed to learn that Sunshine would never have a sequel.  What book (or books) do you wish had a sequel?        

6 comments:

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

Well I have to answer your question with that same book!!! It was great and the end left you like it was a sequel coming out. But noo, I was eager to continue with the story.

That's the one that I can remember right now, because my books mostly are series ... and the ones that aren't part of a series, doesn't need a sequel.

Jenni Elyse said...

I completely agree with you on Sunshine. Sunshine felt like it was more of a middle book than a beginning book too. I thought there were so many unanswered questions. I really wanted to know more. A sequel and possibly a prequel would be awesome!

Anna said...

Yep, sunshine.

Laurie T said...

Yes, I have to chime in too with SUNSHINE. After connecting with and spending time with Sunny and Constantine I expected to see at least another novel.

Violet said...

Midnight Sapphire Books, Jenni Elyse, Anna, and llt806 - Wow! I did not expect unanimous answers. I am happy to hear that I am in such good company wishing for a Sunshine sequel. :) As much as I enjoyed that book, it really did feel like Sunshine and Constantine's story was just beginning by the end of the book.

Candace said...

I hear that a lot on this one. I didn't love the book but it kind of read like a first in a series type book and I think that the second book (if it were ever to exist, and I'm hearing no so far) would be better. I can't think of any off the top of my head that I wish would have a sequel though. It seems like most books are series or trilogies anymore.