Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mockingjay on my mind ...

I am counting down the final few minutes until my local bookstore opens so I can go pick up my pre-ordered copy of Mockingjay, and I haven't been able to get Katniss and Peeta out of my head since we finished re-reading The Hunger Games & Catching Fire a few days ago.  Last night, as I was listening to music and trying not to imagine all the horrors that could be awaiting the people of Panem in Mockingjay, I suddenly noticed how much the lyrics of one of my favorite songs remind me of Katniss and Peeta.  The song is "Suppose" by Secondhand Serenade (John Joseph Vesely).  It brings to mind their star-crossed lover charade for the Capitol and how it was not entirely an act (particularly on Peeta's part).  It also reminds me of the cold nights they endured together and how they somehow made it through.  It makes me think of the way they both found relief from their nightmares in each other's arms.  And there is a sadness and desperation to this song that fits well with their separation and Katniss' breakdown at the end of Catching Fire.

So do any songs remind you of this series?  Which ones?


Do you have a time and place set aside to read Mockingjay?  Will you be staying offline to avoid spoilers until you've finished it?  I will be going into radio silence mode for the remainder of the day.  Happy reading!  :-)

7 comments:

Laurie London said...

I'm heading to the bookstore soon too! Did you see Susanne Collins reading the first couple pages yesterday? That was fun. She reads Katniss' voice in a slight southern drawl. I hadn't expected that. The LA Times posted a review, but it was too spoilery, so I stopped reading. They said it won't disappoint!

I LOVE Secondhand Serenade, but I hadn't heard this song before. Will definitely download it. Thanks!

Sugar and Snark said...

I'm also excited about this because I'm giving away mockingjay in a giveaway :D

http://lusbookblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/100-follower-giveaway.html

Anna said...

Oh. My. Heck....that song.....knowing what I know now.....Holy crap. "Real." um. wow and ow.

I don't have a song that can come close to the experience I had reading it tonight......

Violet said...

Laurie - I did see that video, and the southern drawl surprised me too. Then I realized that Katniss is described as being from the Appalachian Mountain area, so I don't know why I hadn't realized that she might have had a southern drawl. Can't wait to hear what you think of Mockingjay! :)

Lu - Cool that you are hosting a Mockingjay giveaway!

Anna - Such an emotional read! I am afraid that song is going to bring me to tears every time I hear it now. So fun chat with you about Mockingjay tonight. Text therapy is awesome! :)

Jenni Elyse said...

I had yesterday set aside to read it, but alas, it didn't work out. I was still rereading Catching Fire and I had so many doctor's appointments that my day went by a lot faster than I wanted it to. I want to read it tonight, but I think I'm going to have to put it on hold because I have a copy of an ARC for Matched that I have to give back on Saturday and I need to take advantage of it. I just really hope no one spoils MJ for me.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I am sitting here waiting for my copy now. It is suppose to be delivered today and I did actually take today off from work to read this book. So - not really thrilled that at noon on the second day of its release, even though I preordered weeks ago I have yet to have book in hand.

I did a post this morning with a Linky for any Mockingjay related posts so feel free to connect your post if you would like. :D

Violet said...

Jenni - How fun that you are reading Matched! :) That is up next on my TBR shelf, once I finish my library books (Juliet Marillier's Heart's Blood and Nina Malkin's Swoon). My Hunger Games & Catching Fire re-reads interrupted my library book progress, and I'm pretty sure I will have a few fines this week.

Sheila - Just checked out your Mockingjay Linky list! Thanks for sharing that! Glad to hear that your copy finally made it to you! :)