Friday, August 6, 2010

Friday's Fab Five + Book Blogger Hop + Contest Updates

1. Do you have any hidden talents?
.sdrawkcab gnitirw ta doog ytterp m'I  (I'm pretty good at writing backwards.)

2. Name one thing not many people know about you.
I own a lamp from the Crashdown Cafe set of the old WB show Roswell.  My husband and I both loved that show and purchased one of the props from 20th Century Fox when it was cancelled.

3. Do you have any phobias?
Spiders frighten me more than they probably should.

4. Whats your favorite cartoon?
Avatar: The Last Airbender!  I love that show and have seen every episode several times.  I was excited to hear about the upcoming Avatar spinoff series, The Legend of Korra.  Can't wait to check it out! 
If we are talking about cartoon movies rather than television shows, Beauty and The Beast has been a favorite since I was a kid.  Seriously, have you seen the size of the Beast's library?!  Wowzas!  I will move into his castle any time.  ;-)

5. Do you have any nicknames?
Violet has been my nickname for so long that I answer to it just as readily as my actual name.  :-)

This fun meme is hosted by Froggarita's Bookcase.  Every Friday Froggarita asks five questions so we can all get to know each other better.  The only rule is that you can't use the same answer twice within your five!   Ready to play?  Leave your answers in the comments or leave us a link to your own Friday's Fab Five post. 



Book Blogger HopThe Book Blogger Hop is hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books, and it is a terrific way to connect with other book bloggers and readers.  You can join the Hop by clicking on the image to the left.  This week's question is:

Do you listen to music when you read?  If so, what are your favorite reading tunes?
I do not generally listen to music while I read.  But I love checking out book playlists, and I have one playlist filled with songs that I associate with my favorite books and characters.

Contest Updates:  
Be sure to enter our Stupid Shiny Designs giveaway!  Mandy has set aside one of each of her designs in order to fulfill the winner's request,  so don't worry if you see the design you requested disappear from her Etsy shop.  A few designs that may be removed from her shop this week (but are still available to the contest winner) include:
Crystal Heart, House of Night, and Black Dragon

The results of our Richelle Mead poll are in and Vampire Academy (VA#1) won by a large margin!  So we will be picking up an extra copy of that book to take with us to the Richelle Mead signing on Monday.  Keep an eye out for that contest next week!


Happy Reading!  :-)

17 comments:

Mrs. DeRaps said...

That's so funny that you can write backwards. I didn't even think of it, but I can read upside down super fast--Almost as fast as I read.

Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

Just dropping by on the Book Hop. LOVE your site. I'm your newest follower!

danya said...

Hi, returning your hop! Great review for A Spy in the House, I really enjoyed it as well & I'm eagerly anticipating The Body at the Tower :)

Violet said...

Mrs. DeRaps - Reading upside-down is definitely a cool talent! :)

Tammy - Thanks for hopping by & following! :)

danya - Thank you for hopping over! I liked The Body in the Tower even more than A Spy in the House & should have my review posted next week. :)

BURIED IN BOOKS said...

Yes the song by Lykke Li is from Eclipse. I like to feel her isolation and depression when I'm writing. It keeps my mood down when I'm writing so I don't go too fast.

Heather

Violet said...

Heather - That is a clever technique to keep your mood down while writing. I just remembered where I'd heard Gravity - in Kayla & Kupono's addiction-themed dance on SYTYCD. Such an emotional song & a great routine. I might have to add Lykke Li & Sara Bareilles to one of my playlists. Thanks for stopping by and for the great song recommendations. :)

Janna said...

Hi Violet, thanks for visting my blog. Happy Friday!!

Anonymous said...

Violet, we love your blog! Thank you for stopping by ours, and we are most definitely new followers. I look forward to your posts!

Mardie said...

Writing backwards is a very unique talent! It would take so long for me to write a sentence backwards!!

Violet (what a lovely nickname), I noticed that your profile says something about vegan treats. Are you vegan? I'm a vegetarian - but not vegan.

Tresa said...

Hopping in to wish you a Happy Friday ~
~Tresa @ Bippidy Boppidy Boo
http://snewo.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Violet, I loved Roswell! A show that got cancelled too early, I think. Happy to hear we have something else in common.

Sincerely,
Ashwey

Christina said...

I'm your newest follower from the hop! We seem to have a lot of the same taste in books so I can't wait to see more of your site!

Hope you all have an amazing weekend!

-Christina
http://books-are-life-reviews.blogspot.com/

Amy said...

I'm recently became hopelessly obsessed with Avatar: The Last Airbender so I'm pretty thrilled to see that a blogger loved it as well! Zuko and Iroh are my favourite characters. :D I hope that Korra will live up to or surpass the awesomeness of the original series, I'm only really sad because the characters from the original series have all died by the time Korra comes around :_(

The Book Bee said...

Hello, just stopping by from the hop and I am now a follower. I like the look of your blog. Have a good weekend.
bookbee
http://thebookbee.blogspot.com

Alison Can Read said...

Hopping through. What a cool site you have. I'm now following.
Alison Can Read

Violet said...

Janna - Thanks for hopping over! Hope you have a great weekend!

Noe and Suz - Thank you! I'm so glad to have discovered your blog and look forward to reading more of your posts too! :)

Mardie - Hi! It is great to meet another vegetarian book blogger! :) I have been vegetarian all my life and vegan for the past eight years. :)

Tresa - Thank you for hopping by! I love that your blog is called "Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo"! Such a fun name!

Ashwey - Yay! You are a Roswell fan too?! Awesome! :)

Christina - Thanks for hopping by! I look forward to checking out your blog! :)

Amy - It is fantastic to meet another Avatar fan! Zuko is my favorite character too! He definitely has the most compelling story arc, and I have such a weakness for broken boys. I loved the direction his journey took over the course of the series. And Uncle Iroh is compassionate + philosophical + patient + hilarious + clever = awesome. Honestly, there are very few characters I don't love in that show. Even the cabbage merchant makes me smile. I share your hope that Korra will live up to the excellence of the original series, and it does make me sad that none of the characters we know and love will be a part of the show. Well, I imagine Korra will be able to consult with Aang the way he was able to visit with Roku. Wonder how long sky bison live? ;)

Violet said...

The Book Bee - Thank you for hopping by! I enjoyed visiting your blog too. :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Alison - Thanks for hopping through! :)