Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesday: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta



My teaser:
"If something happens to me, whose face will be on the front page of the paper begging for me?  Is a person worth more because they have someone to grieve for them?"


- page 60 of Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta






Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading.  Anyone can play along!  Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two 'teaser' sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (Make sure that what you share doesn't give too much away!  You don't want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title and author, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR lists if they like your teaser!

9 comments:

Chachic said...

Love this book! That's a great line. Can't wait for you to finish this one so I can see what you think of the entire thing. :) Happy reading!

Midnight Sapphire Books said...

I've been close to buy this book a couple of times but never do it.

Kellie (secondstarbooks) said...

What an interesting idea, I'll have to check this book out.

Liz @ Cleverly Inked said...

Great pick for a teaser

Candace said...

That's a good one! I really enjoyed this book, hope you are too!

Violet said...

I am really enjoying Jellicoe Road. I didn't know much about the book's premise when I picked it up, so it has been a very pleasant surprise so far. I like the way in which details from the past are being revealed one small snippet at a time. Fun! :)

Unknown said...

Good teaser! Thought-provoking and kind of sad.

Thanks for visiting mine.

Cranberryfries said...

I've had two friends read this and tell me they loved it and one friend tell me it was weird. It's on my list. Should I move it up to the top? :)

Violet said...

Debbie - I just finished Jellicoe Road last night and really liked it. So I would definitely recommend it, but I do understand the 'weird' comment too. Much of the mystery in the story is revealed through short snippets of an unbound manuscript that is given to us in bits and pieces (out of chronological order). Also, we join the story at the start of an annual 'territory war' that is a little challenging to understand at first, and the story is set in Australia so some words and phrases take a little while to get used to (gaol=jail and that type of thing). But the characters are compelling, the mystery is intriguing, and the book has some very thought-provoking moments. I liked it and recommend having tissues on hand when you read it.