Monday, March 8, 2010

Question Monday: What fictional world would you love to live in for a week?

I have loved diving into fictional worlds ever since I was a little girl reading bedtime books and falling asleep to dream about fairy tales and far away lands.  In fact, I still frequently fall asleep with a book in my hand, and occasionally I still dream about fairy tales and far away lands.  Sometimes a fictional world seems intriguing because of its beauty and mystery, other times it is tantalizing because the setting is so different from our own familiar environment & lifestyle, and sometimes the setting is familiar and common but the characters who populate a particular world make it sound irresistibly fun.


As a kid, I would have loved to spend a week with the March sisters in Little Women.  I wanted to meet a mouse like Ralph in The Mouse and the Motorcycle books.  I wanted to make friends with a pig like Wilbur & spend my days on the Zuckerman’s farm like Fern in Charlotte’s Web.  I loved the idea of having eleven siblings like the Gilbreth children in Cheaper by the Dozen.  And the concept of hanging out with Mary Anne and Dawn from the Babysitter’s Club books or Elizabeth Wakefield from the Sweet Valley Twins books sounded like so much fun.  As a teen, I fell in love with romantic classics like Jane Austen’s novels, Edith Wharton’s books, Lucy Maud Montgomery’s novels, Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights, and Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind.  Ignoring the lack of indoor plumbing and modern medicine, I loved the idea of spending time in any of those worlds.  These days, I read a lot of fantasy and paranormal novels, and I’m intrigued by the idea of worlds filled with Shadowhunters, graced warriors, and faerie princes.


What fictional worlds appeal to you?  What world would you have loved to spend a week in as a kid?  Are there particular characters you’d love to spend a week with, or is there a certain time period or setting that you’d love to explore?  Would a week be long enough?  Too long?

4 comments:

Anna said...

I had this exact conversation with my mom a few years ago. Here is what we realized.The problem with fictional worlds, or at least the ones I tend to read is that because of the nature of story and plot, they would make TERRIBLE places to live!

As a child I loved the Hobbit, terrible place to live. Orcs and Gollum and the One Ring and dragons....oh my! And A Wrinkle in Time, maybe not terrible but also not pleasant! Harry Potter's got Voldemort, Big Bads are generally big and bad and it's people like me that get eaten first.

Even the purely love story type of books like those of LM Montgomery wouldn't be great for the living in. Terrible health care, having to wear my hair up all the time. Those stories always showed idealized views of their time periods.

Maybe it's just that I lack imagination or am too practical but I can't think of a single fictional world I'd like to live in.

Jenni Elyse said...

Hands down, Harry Potter! I have wanted to be a witch ever since I read that book. I think it would be awesome to be able to perform magic. It would be so much fun!

Andrea said...

That's a hard one. I can think of several. I think it would be interesting to hang out with Alice in the Twilight World as a Cullen. Harry Potter would be so awesome! Especially seeing Hogwarts and all.

But I do love my life right now too, it wouldn't be right to live in a world without Evan.

Violet said...

Anna - You make an excellent point! :) Most of the fictional worlds I'm intrigued by on the page would be truly terrifying/miserable/discriminatory places in reality. While I'd kind of love to meet the Ents & hang out in Rivendell for a week, I'm scared to death of Orcs and Shelob (and about a thousand other things in Tolkien's world)!

And while the day-dreamy part of me loves the sound of Regency-era England, the practical side of me knows that I wouldn't last more than three days in a world without hot showers and wi-fi. Haha!

Jenni - The wizarding world of Harry Potter really is appealing. Modern conveniences + magic = super fun! I love the idea of Hogwarts' Room of Requirement & would like to give Hermione's Time-Turner a whirl.

Andrea - A week with Alice (& the Cullens' unlimited budget) could definitely make for a fun vacation. And I think I'd be willing to brave the dangers of Harry's world in order to spend a week exploring Hogwarts & strolling around Diagon Alley. [Aww..,very sweet that Evan trumps all the fantasy worlds!]